June 24, 2015 by Dr. Sana Keller
This is your last treatment…No abnormal cells found…Your CT looks good…You made it…We won’t need to see you for 3 months/6 months… WHAT GREAT NEWS TO HEAR at the end of your cancer treatment! Yet, as cancer survivors continue on in their health journey, they often have very important questions about their health that deserve evidence-based answers since the major goal now is to reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
As a Cancer Survivor Coach, I welcome questions from my clients. My job is to provide factual, evidence-based answers that empower them toward their best health, wherever they are on their health journey.
Following the Experts in the Field
In order to provide the highest quality, non-biased information and answers for my clients, I follow the work and teaching of Integrative Oncology experts such as Keith Block, MD; Brian Lawenda, MD; and Donald Abrams, MD along with Integrative Medicine experts such as Andrew Weil, MD and Mark Hyman, MD.
The 5 Most Frequently Asked Questions I am asked by Cancer Survivor Clients:
- Is it okay for me to eat like I did before my cancer diagnosis?
- I was told that I don’t need to take any nutritional supplements as long as I eat a healthy diet—is that true?
- I should be on a low fat diet, right?
- Are there natural options for blocking estrogen once my 5 years of being on an aromatase inhibitor is over?
- Are there certain supplements that would help lower my risk of recurrence?
Legitimate questions—questions that deserve answers based on current clinical studies—answers that support each cancer survivor on their journey toward optimal health.
- It depends–on what type of diet you followed before diagnosis. Most likely the answer is NO, if you want to significantly lower your risk of recurrence. No worries, though, the eating choices are plentiful and delicious!
- If your diet consists of mostly plant-based, organic foods, then the answer may possibly be yes. Most likely the answer is NO once again, since it is incredibly challenging to obtain optimal nutrition through our food alone ,for various reasons. No worries, though, nutritional supplementation can be made simple and stress-free!
- NO! This answer applies to almost everyone, including those who have never been diagnosed with cancer. Balanced amounts of healthy fats are the key. You can learn more about this on my past blogs here, here and here.
- YES! There are several natural health options and specific dietary recommendations that have been found to be effective.
- YES! Several nutritional supplements have been studied at length and have been found to reduce risk of cancer recurrence.
There is so much that can be done–simply and safely–to lower our risk of developing cancer—whether we’re cancer survivors or not. The Health Unlimited link below has information about my Cancer Thriving program, along with Chronic Pain, Weight Management and Healthy Lifestyle programs. Please contact me with any questions you have.
To your optimal health…wherever you are on your health journey…
Sana Keller, PhD, RN Health Unlimited LLC
Photo credits: skysharings.com, chicagoheightslibrary.org, jacksonholearttours.com, superprofs.com